A United University Library
In 1989, Wilson and Byrd Libraries were combined with the addition of an underground passage between the two buildings. The consolidation allowed both libraries to move to an online catalog and a single cataloging system, the Library of Congress. The former Byrd Library became space for the new Anderson University and Church of God Archives. The Kissinger Learning Center, named for Clyde Kissinger, was also established as a space for tutoring services.
The new addition added 30,000 square feet, nearly double the size of the original Wilson Library, making space for new technology, services, and shelving. A skylight was installed and the new space filled with a periodicals section, an interlibrary loan department, study spaces, and computers – another new addition to Anderson University’s library. Students also had access to a microcomputer room for word processing and CD-ROM stations where scans of newspapers could be read. The Bibliographic Instruction Lab was created to train students to use the new computerized catalog rather than the familiar card catalog. All this was done with the help of a Lilly Endowment “Dream of Distinction” grant, received by Anderson University in 1987.
The new library was originally named University Library. The name was changed in 1992 to honor former President Robert A. Nicholson, who served as president from 1983-1990.
Robert Nicholson came to Anderson College as a student in 1940 from Minnesota, at the age of 16. In 1945, "Nick," was asked to return to the school as a music instructor. He founded the Anderson College Choir in 1945 and began directing music for the Christian Brotherhood Hour in 1946. In 1958 when Robert Reardon became the College President, he was named the Dean of the College, thus beginning a 25-year partnership in leadership at Anderson College.
In 2014, a new Lilly grant made the IDEA-U lab possible as a multi-purpose space for student collaboration and innovation.
- Callen, Barry L. Guide of Soul and Mind: The Story of Anderson University. Anderson: Warner Press, 1992. Print.
- "General Buildings" Folder, A.C./A.U. Buildings Documents, Anderson University and Church of God Archives