John A. Morrison Statue
Anderson University's First President
The John A. Morrison Statue, designed by Anderson University’s artist-in-residence Kenneth Ryden, honors Anderson University’s first president. Made in 1987 using cast bronze, it represents 1,500 hours of work. It was unveiled on June 13th, 1988.
John Arch Morrison was chosen as principal of Anderson Bible Training School in 1923 and became Anderson College’s first president in 1925. He served until 1958, when he retired for health reasons.
As president of Anderson College, he defended the decision to become Anderson College rather than remain a bible training school. During his time as president, he also served as President of the Indiana Association of Independent and Church-Related Colleges and was a member of the American Council on Education, the Indiana Conference on Higher Education, and the Associated Colleges of Indiana.
- "Morrison (John A.) Statue" Folder, A.C./A.U. Buildings Documents, Anderson University and Church of God Archives