Kemp Music Hall
Former E. E. Byrum Home
Kemp Music Hall was Anderson University's first music hall. The ten-room building housed the music department in addition to vocal and piano studios and practice rooms. From 1960-1962, Kemp Music Hall was also used for temporary men's housing due to overcrowding in Dunn Hall.
The building was originally the home of E. E. Byrum, editor of the Gospel Trumpet, and his family. Anderson University purchased the home and the land surrounding it in 1942 with the help of a gift from Thomas Jefferson Kemp. The building's new name confused some students, who believed it had originally been Kemp's home rather than Byrum's.
Kemp Music Hall was originally located on the site of Wilson Library and had to be moved 200 feet east in 1956 to make room for the new building. Then, in 1962, the School of Theology building was set to be constructed as part of the college's "Decade of Development." Kemp Hall, recently transferred to the new construction site, was, therefore, torn down in 1962.
- "Byrum Hall" Folder, A.C./A.U. Buildings Documents, Anderson University and Church of God Archives
- Callen, Barry L. Guide of Soul and Mind: The Story of Anderson University. Anderson: Warner Press, 1992. Print.
- "Campus Buildings" Folder, A.C./A.U. Buildings Documents, Anderson University and Church of God Archives
- "Kemp Hall" Folder, A.C./A.U. Buildings Documents, Anderson University and Church of God Archives