Anderson College Music Hall
Temporary Space for the Music Department
The music department has had many homes in its hundred-year history at Anderson University, including Anderson College Music Hall. The building, which stood on the current University Terrace site, was formerly Park Place Church of God before it moved to its current location on College Drive.
The church was built in 1917 when it held one thousand seats and a single basement room for Sunday school. It was renovated in 1925, and again in 1945, when a pipe organ and annex were added. In 1960, the building was gifted to Anderson College to house the music department. A 1200-seat auditorium was built for chapel services. In addition, the building held classrooms, offices, practice rooms, and storage spaces.
Anderson College Music Hall was severely damaged by a fire on November 2, 1966. The cause of the fire was never discovered, but the damage was judged too severe to repair. The music department continued to use the annex until September 1971, when the building was demolished. The department was then housed in the current Park Place Church of God until the Krannert Fine Arts Center was constructed in 1979.
- Callen, Barry L. Guide of Soul and Mind: The Story of Anderson University. Anderson: Warner Press, 1992. Print.
- "Music Hall (Park Place CHOG)" Folder, A.C./A.U. Buildings Documents, Anderson University and Church of God Archives