Browse Exhibits (5 total)
Welcome to Anderson University! The school's campus has served as a place of education and growth for a century. Things have changed over the years: buildings have come and gone, been combined, renamed, and remodeled, and occasionally repurposed altogether. From essentially a single building - Old Main - the university has grown into a thriving and active community. Here, you can see for yourself how this transformation took place. From the buried time capsule in Decker Hall and the storied historic Morrison Hall to the construction of Kardatzke Wellness Center and the first performance at Reardon Auditorium, each building on campus has a story.
In this exhibit, you will find many of the buildings which once stood - and currently stand - on Anderson University's campus. The exhibit is divided into six sections according to the current use of the building: Academic Buildings, Auditoriums, Student Services, Residence Halls & Apartments, Libraries, and Features of Campus. These sections, as well as the pages for each building, can be accessed by the sidebar to the right at any point in the exhibit.
1906 - Old Main
1906 - Campgrounds
1906 - The Valley
1908 - Byrum Hall
1917 - Anderson College Music Hall (Old Park Place Church of God)
1917 - Anderson Bible Training School founded
1921 - Morrison House
1929 - Name changed to Anderson College
1942 - Kemp Hall purchased by Anderson College
1947 - Government Hall
1949 - Morrison Hall
1954 - Dunn Hall
1957 - Wilson Library
1958 - Martin Hall
1962 - School of Theology
1962 - O. C. Lewis Gymnasium
1962 - Warner Auditorium
1963 - Olt Student Center
1964 - Byrd Library
1964 - Hartung Hall
1964 - Smith Hall
1966 - Rice Hall
1967 - Mansfield Apartments
1968 - Boyes House
1970 - Myers Hall
1970 - Decker Hall
1973 - Bennett Natatorium
1979 - Krannert Fine Arts Center
1984 - Reardon Auditorium
1987 - Name changed to Anderson University
1988 - John A. Morrison Statue
1988 - Passages Sculpture
1989 - Nicholson Library
1992 - Eternal Flame
1993 - Helios
2001 - Hardacre Hall becomes part of Anderson University
2002 - Kardatzke Wellness Center
2005 - Fair Commons Apartments
2006 - York Seminary Villiage phase 1
2007 - York Seminary Villiage phase 2
2012 - York Performance Hall
Periodicals of Anderson University and the Church of God
Since 1881, the Church of God has published a variety of periodicals dealing with children's ministry, missions, and the movement itself. Anderson University has also produced several alumni magazines, student-run newspapers, and other periodicals which are stored in the Anderson University and Church of God Archives.
Below is a chronological list of the periodicals stored in bound volumes in the Archives. Links lead to pages with more detailed information about each title.
- 1881-1996 - The Gospel Trumpet
- 1891-1995 - Shining Light/Stories for Children
- 1895, 1905-1906, 1914, 1951-1998 - Evangeliums Posaune (Germany)/Perspektiven
- 1903-1911 - Evangelie Trumpet/Evangelii Trumpet
- 1904-1907, 1916, 1920 - Den Evangeliske Basun/Evangeli Basun
- 1907-1920 - Our Little Folks
- 1910-1912 - Missionary Herald
- 1912-1918 - Our Ministerial Letter
- 1912-1952 - Boy's and Girl's Comrade
- 1913-1915 - Der Jugend Wegweiser
- 1916 - The Helper
- 1920-1983 - Young People's Friend/Youth/Reach
- 1933-Present - Shining Light Survey/Shining Light Publication
- 1936-1951 - Friends of Missions
- 1940 - The Pioneer
- 1941-1951 - Missionary Outlook
- 1946-1958 - Planning Creatively
- 1951-2009 - Church of God Missions/Missions
- 1952-1991 - The Gospel Contact
- 1957-1988 - Missionsbote
- 1959-1968 - Christian Leadership
- 1961-2000 - Trombeta Evangelica/Trombeta/La Trombeta
- 1961-2011 - Evangeliums Posaune (York, Nebraska)
- 1962 - The Gospel Trumpet changes its name to Vital Christianity
- 2004-2007 - Vital Christianity becomes OneVoice
- 1917-Present - College Catalog/University Catalog
- 1922-2007 - Echoes
- 1926-1935 - The Broadcaster
- 1932-1941 - The Orange and Black
- 1938-1963 - Alumni News
- 1947-Present - The Andersonian
- 1962-1985 - Anderson College News
- 1962-Present - Literary Arts Magazine/Slates
- 1969-1988 - Theo Week
- 1975-1986 - A.C. World
- 1987-Present - Signatures
Historians and archaeologists refer to the very ancient past as "prehistory" - the time before history was written down. History as we know it today began when people started to write things down. This happened for the first time around 3200 BCE in what is today known as the Middle East. Stylized pictures called cuneiform were used to represent trade agreements, land sales, and other transactions, and these records eventually became the sources historians used to study the ancient past.
Change in technology, political systems, or religion sometimes took hundreds or thousands of years, but life in the ancient world was far from static. Archaeologists also use other sources, including pottery, burial sites, religious sculptures, and metal artifacts, to learn about people living during the Bronze Age (3300-1200 BCE) and the Iron Age (1200-550 BCE). These objects show how people lived, why they lived that way, and how life changed over time.
From the Early Bronze Age to the end of the Iron Age, life in the Near East changed. New religions appeared. Rulers rose and fell. Trade expanded. Technology developed. Empires expanded and became more complex. Just as they do with the very ancient past, historians and archaeologists use the artifacts left behind to track these changes over time.
Race relations affected all Americans throughout the 20th century, and Anderson University and the Church of God are no exception. This exhibit offers an overview of Black and White relations within the Church of God movement, and in turn within Anderson University.
The goal of this exhibit is not to provide exhaustive information, but rather to give a foundation to explore the Church of God movement's response to racial division. Throughout the exhibit, the different pages lead users to resources located at the Nicholson Library and the Anderson University & Church of God Archives. The user is encouraged to dig into these resources and formulate their own opinions and interpretations.
This exhibit is divided into three sections: Understanding Systemic Racism in the North, Anderson University, and Church of God. The pages can be accessed in the sidebar at any time.
Happy Hunting! As always, the Anderson University and Church of God archives staff is willing to help you explore deeper. For more information about hours and contact information click here.
The Anderson University & Church of God Archives collects the records of agencies and institutions central to the Church of God movement and Anderson University as well as papers of prominent individuals therein.
Some individuals notable even beyond the scope of the church movement and university have donated their papers to the university for preservation, access, and research. This exhibit highlights some of these individuals and their relationship to the school.
Charles E. Wilson (1880-1961) was U.S. Secretary of Defense from (1953-1957).
Mort Crim (b. 1935) was a nationally syndicated broadcaster on radio and television.
James Earl Massey (1930-2018) was a nationally recognized preacher, teacher, and administrator.
Anderson University Presidents A page providing an overview of the university's five presidents.
Continue to watch this exhibit as it grows over time.