Olt Student Center
Marketplace and Recreation
Since 1963, the Olt Student Center has been a haven for students seeking food, a break from studying, and socialization. It was dedicated on April 16th, 1963. Until its construction, dining services were mainly offered in Old Main in a space that was becoming too small for the growing number of students on campus. The new student center offered more space, faster service, and a gathering place for conversation and recreation.
Currently, the student center has three dining locations: Marketplace dining hall and two additional spaces in the Haven. Olt Student Center is also the home of the Student Government Association, the Campus Activity Board, and the bookstore. The basement of Olt Student Center originally held a bowling alley, game rooms, and a TV room. It is now the location of Mocha Joe’s coffee shop, a popular location for studying and socializing.
Mocha Joe's and the Alley
Mocha Joe's opened its doors in the spring of 2002. In 2004, Mocha Joe's became Mocha Joe's Cyber Cafe; the area was deemed a place to relax and study with computers and internet ports. While the coffee shop does have TVs and is used for studying, the internet connections are not the best which makes studying harder as of 2023. Currently, Mocha Joe's and what is called the Alley are connected. The alley is the section of Mochas that used to be the bowling lanes; there are a bunch of games, furniture, and even a stage.
Olt Student Center is named for Russell Olt, who was the first dean of students at Anderson University, serving from 1925-1958. His wife was the first guest in the new dining hall in 1963. Additionally, six dining rooms, including the Kane Dining Room and the Edwards Room, are named for important people in the university’s history and are used for various campus events.
The Nine Dining Rooms
There were originally eight dining rooms in total. These included the Wilbur Schield Dining Room, the Kane Dining Room, the Edwards Room, the Breitweiser Dining Room, the Deuback Dining Room, the Haldeman Dining Room, the Hartselle Dining Room, the Koglin Dining Room, and the Lopez Dining Room.
The Wilbur Shield Dining Room, Kane Dining Room and the Edwards Room
The Wilbur Shield Dining Room was dedicated to Wilbur Shield; this is the Dining Room used for the Marketplace. The Kane Dining Room was dedicated to the late Dr. John H. Kane, an alumni director and vice president for church relations at the time of his death. The Edwards Room was dedicated to Dr. Chester L. Edwards, who was a retired business manager and treasurer for the school after 28 years.
The Six Other Dining Rooms
There were six dining rooms other than the Edwards Room and the Kane Dining Room that were dedicated to the important people. The Breitweiser Dining Room was dedicated to Dr. Paul Breitweiser, a professor of music. The Deubach Dining Room was dedicated to Dr. Vila Deubach who was the chairman of the English department and a librarian in the Charles E. Wilson Library. The Haldeman Dining Room was dedicated to Prof. Walter S. Haldeman, a professor of religious education. The Hartselle Dining Room was dedicated to Dr. Cecil S. Hartselle, a professor of music. The Koglin Dining Room was dedicated to Dr. Anna E. Koglin, a professor of German. The Lopez Dining Room was dedicated to Prof. Amy K. Lopez, who taught English for two terms.
- Callen, Barry L. Guide of Soul and Mind: The Story of Anderson University. Anderson: Warner Press, 1992. Print.
- "Campus Buildings" Folder, A.C./A.U. Buildings Documents, Anderson University and Church of God Archives
- "General Buildings" Folder, A.C./A.U. Buildings Documents, Anderson University and Church of God Archives
- "Olt Student Center" Folder, A.C./A.U. Buildings Documents, Anderson University and Church of God Archives