A College Library
Wilson Library was the original four-story section of the building now known as Nicholson Library. Ground was broken in June 1956, and the dedication ceremony took place on October 26th, 1957.
The library was named for Charles E. Wilson, who served as Manager of Anderson’s Delco-Remy division, president of General Motors Corporation, and Secretary of Defense under President Eisenhower. Due to his national recognition, the dedication ceremony for the library received tremendous media coverage.
Wilson Library was the first academic building constructed on campus after the founding of Anderson Bible Training School. It housed the university’s radio and television services in addition to books, periodicals, and research materials. The library also offered a number of reading rooms, a small theatre, the Lilly Lounge, and Alumni Hall.
In 1989, a new addition connected Wilson Library to the School of Theology’s Byrd Library, creating the new Nicholson Library.
Growth of Wilson Library
1957 – 30,000 books
1961 – 46,000 books
1969 – 90,000 books
1977 – 92,000 books, 604 periodicals
- Callen, Barry L. Guide of Soul and Mind: The Story of Anderson University. Anderson: Warner Press, 1992. Print.