Anderson University

Anderson College Logo

Anderson College and Theological Seminary Logo

Established in 1917 as Anderson Bible Training School, the school’s goal was to educate Church of God members for a life in ministerial and pastoral work. Soon after, Anderson Bible Training School worked to expand its programs, and in 1926, changed its name to Anderson College and Theological Seminary. 

The Church of God was more open to a community of believers no matter their race, and Anderson College was no different. AC was known for including minorities in both the student body and faculty. 

Amy Lopez, a Jamaican woman, taught at Anderson College three separate periods of time. Her final stint as a professor at AC was finished in 1950. In total, she worked at Anderson College for 14 years.

Sethard P. Dunn, a Black Church of God pastor, resided on the Anderson College Board of Trustees for more than 30 years. A men’s dormitory was dedicated in his honor in 1960. Male students still reside in Dunn Hall to this day.

AU was more inclusive than other colleges and universities, but that does not mean that life on campus was without difficulty for its minority students. Read on to learn about two events on campus in Anderson University’s history pertaining to race relations at the time.


“Ex-AC Educator Dies.” Anderson Herald. 14 October 1971. Amy Lopez Papers. AC 136, File 2. Anderson University and Church of God Archives, Nicholson Library, Anderson, IN.

Massey, James Earl. African Americans and the Church of God: Aspects of a Social History. Anderson: Anderson University Press, 2005.